Thursday, August 26, 2004
Mama, I'm coming home
That's right! Mama, I'm coming home! Saturday, in fact, is the day I leave Kosovo. And nobody can be happier than me.

I ran into a guy today that I hadn't seen in about two months. He had gone to Germany for tonsil surgery. He had developed an infection so the surgeons couldn't operate immediately.


Anyway, he said that the whole ordeal was messed up. He said the doctor’s name that was given to him was wrong--there was no doctor at that hospital by that name. He also said that there were no arrangements for his housing so they put him up in a clinic with injured soldiers from Afghanistan and Iraq. He had two roommates. One had been shot up in a firefight and was unconscious most of the time. The other was burned on the left half of his face. And my friend was only there for tonsil surgery! He said he felt inferior.

His story reminded me of a story I had read of a Vietnam vet that had lost both legs to a landmine. He had trouble recovering because of self-pity. He thought what could he ever do with his life if he did recover. And then he stumbled onto the floor solely designated for soldiers that had sustained horrible groin injuries. He wept and forgot all about his pain and trouble.

posted by Joe Napalm @ 11:51 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.