Sunday, August 28, 2005
Lion Heart
I for some time have thought of myself as a warrior. I don't necessarily have the physique of a warrior, but I have do a heart and mind of one.

I own about 5 different books about Gen. Patton. I loved Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose and We Were Soldiers Once And Young by Lt. Colonel Hal Moore so much that I have them on DVD, too. I've read countless books on the Vietnam Conflict, World War 2 and many others. Boots on the Ground by Karl Zinsmeister was a phenomenal book about the recent war in Iraq. In all, I have over 20 books on war or personalities of war--everything from a biography about Donald Rumsfeld to The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy. Right now I'm reading David McCullough's 1776.

My DVD collection includes The Patriot with Mel Gibson, Patton starring George C. Scott and The Alamo with John Wayne. I count Gladiator and Blackhawk Down as a couple of my favorite movies.

I even played "Army" growing up.

But I didn't just play, pretend or read about war. I put it all into practice as a non-commissioned officer with the Tennessee Army National Guard. I have been honorably discharged for one year next month after almost 10 years of service. And I miss it...bad.

Some of my fondest memories in my whole life were shared with other soldiers that continue to serve today. We attended Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, SC, and followed it up with AIT at Ft. Huachuca, AZ. We attended battle staff training at Ft. Leavenworth, KS. We trained with soldiers at Ft. Knox, KY; Ft. Campbell, KY; Ft. Stewart, GA; National Training Center, Ft. Irwin, CA; Hohenfels, Germany. And we deployed to Camp Bondsteel in Kosovo for 7 months.

During the deployment to Kosovo, I count myself lucky to have been able to attend the Army's Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC). As students, we were assigned leadership responsibilities and graded by our peers. Over the last few days I've remembered one late night on a training patrol:

We had been training in the July heat since pre-dawn. We wore Kevlar helmets, full battle gear and carried our assigned weapons, blank ammunition and pyro. All of us were given leadership roles and given tasks such as search and rescue; conduct reconnaissance; movement to contact; and defend in place.

My two scenarios were very successful mostly because our squad consisted of highly motivated young soldiers. I consulted my squad mates frequently who had way more experience as infantry soldiers. While I was leading, we successfully defended two simulated casualties against an assault from another squad. And later on, we foiled an ambush attempt on us when my very alert point man heard a weapon charge a round.

Late that night we were beat from the heat and physical exertion. Some in our squad of about ten were starting to grumble and slow down. Our instructor--a sergeant first class--approached me and said that since I had been so successful in leading the squad all day, he wanted me to lead in one more "mission." He also asked me to speak to my squad to pull them together. When I returned, about half of the squad dropped their heads when I told them that there'd be one more task.

To shorten this story to a readable length, I was able to incorporate those that didn't want to move fast into "Team A" and those still wanting more adrenaline into "Team B". Our task was to secure an ammo canister before a competing platoon could secure it. Team A would walk at a easy pace and act as a delaying force. And I tagged along with Team B as we raced at a full run to the canister. Wow! What a night!

Team A successfully delayed the other squad by engaging them and then withdrawing. And Team B secured the canister and then ambushed the approaching squad (I was reprimanded for this but it was fun!). I think we lost only two simulated casualties and destroyed the other squad. I rode on an adrenaline high for several days!

But I write all of that to only share this:

I have a friend that lost a close friend in Iraq. I have another friend serving in Afghanistan away from his wife and two kids. And just the other day, I drove past the Lieurance house in Seymour and saw the flags and messages in memorial of their son's death in Iraq.

I would serve many, many tours in Iraq and Afghanistan in a heartbeat if it meant they could be home. I am full of gratitude* that these young men and women stand on the frontline to secure my family's freedoms. I needn't say more.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

* (8/29) I stated in the original post that I'm "full of guilt." After reflection I don't think it's guilt. I think it's thankfulness that I'm unable to communicate. It's a deep emotion that no matter what I say, it's not enough to convey my heartfelt thanks.

I still stand amazed that someone would lay their life on the line for my liberty and not ask for anything in return.
posted by Joe Napalm @ 9:22 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.