Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Field Trip
On my way back from lunch today I passed by a church on the corner of Western Avenue and Ball Camp Pike. (For the life of me I can't remember the name.) In the front yard an half-scale mockup of the Tabernacle of the Old Testament was erected.

I stopped in to view it...mostly inspired by
Matthew's blog.

I was greeted in the parking lot by
Katie Helms. She attends the church and teaches children's Sunday services and is a VBS volunteer. This tabernacle is her ministry* and she gave me a thirty-minute tour.She has meticulously crafted all of the parts from the silver-tipped fence posts to the gold-colored Ark--from the altar to the lampstand in the Holy Place.

The tour began at her guest book where she asks that each visitor sign. She then progressed to the entrance. Ms. Helms told me that the real Tabernacle measured 75 feet wide by 150 feet long; and the outer perimeter stood 15 feet tall. She pointed out that there was only one way into the courtyard--one Way.
She then held the curtain for me and I entered. In front of me stood the altar for the burnt offerings. And behind the altar stood the water basin.

One interesting fact that Ms. Helms pointed out was that the wood used throughout the actual tabernacle was acacia (or shittim) wood. Apparently it was real dense and, therefore, resisted rot and pests--Incorruptible.
We then progressed into the Holy Place adorned with the bread table, the incense altar and lampstand. Again, all well-done by Ms. Helms.

But I was nervous to enter the Most Holy Place. To be honest it was a little eerie. But it has lots of significance that I can enter in without fear of death even though it was only a mockup.


My host did a remarkable job of introducing the tabernacle to me. Importantly, she didn't just give me historical significance, but parallel significance. It was a treat.


Now, Ms. Helms is looking for the next stop on the tabernacle tour. She told me that she does not want to store the model and furnishings but display it at various locations around Knoxville. She said that Johnson Bible College may be next. But this project definitely deserves a stop at your church.

* Sorry for the poor picture quality. All pictures were taken with my camera phone.
posted by Joe Napalm @ 5:55 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.