Thursday, October 13, 2005
Lest You Forget
Fall is here. Ah, the crisp, cool mornings! And I know what's on your mind: Thanksgiving football.

Now, I shall remind of last year's winning play.

Our team had established the run. We ran "I" formation, shotgun and attempted the option a couple of times. Our running back (What was his name, again?) was nimble. The game was tied and we all agreed that the next team to score would be the winner.

We were on the 20 yard-line. I can't recall which down. We lined up in the shotgun single-wing. Laura was the center. I believe Jay lined up wide right and Matthew lined up wide left. I said, "Hike!" and Laura flipped the ball back. Now here's the piece de resistance: I faked the ball to the running back who crossed in front. This fake drew the entire defense in. Didn't Dad say, "Ah, shoot"?

Our running back (again, I'm sorry I can't remember his name) ran left and then curled after a couple of yards in case I had to dump the ball. But when I looked up from the fake, Matthew and Jay had streaked down the field and were stacked in the middle of the endzone. Both were behind the defense with Matthew deep. I threw the ball up between them. Matthew came up and caught it. And we have been the reigning champions all year!

Every year it seems to end with the play-of-the-game. One year I remember Laura caught the ball in the middle of the field and then ran for the endzone. She just got inside the marker before being "tackled" by Kelvin. And then one year BJ hit Noel crossing through traffic in the back of the endzone. Noel was able to get a foot down before stepping out.

Beware, I have started to develop this year's playbook. Don't ask. It's top secret.
posted by Joe Napalm @ 8:33 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Wesley Son of Cornelius said…

    Tony was the running-back!

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what about late round draft picks, are you taking those? who needs a posession reciever? family, ya, you could say that.

    uncle jesse

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger BJ not BK said…

    Let us not forget the game clincher from the year before. Fourth down, sun going down, time running out. This is where the men are seperated from the boys. C.C. Francis is lined up in shotgun, a little stiff, a litte tired, from the day's battle. I lined up wide right, Kelvin defending. The ball was hiked and everything seemd to move in slow motion as offense and defense moved as if in a dance coorinated for this special time in Francis Family Football history. I streaked the sidelines, went about 8 feet and curled screaming, "I'm open!" The defense bit hard as I spun around and headed downfield towards gloryland. C.C. released the ball as the defense caved in on the pocket, I remember the sound of my heart, footsteps falling softly on the November grass and then.....the ball and my soft hands meeting as if two lovers united after a long stay away from each other one not wanting to let the other go....touchdown! Victory! Carpe Football!

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Joe Napalm said…

    Uncle Jesse, you a always invited. Unfortunately, team captains are decided the day of and teams are selected with each captain alternating picks. I would think that you would be a first- or second-round pick.

    And BJ's "I'm Open" scheme will go down in the annals of great Francis Family Football Moments. But it'll never work again--much like Bill's 2-yards-and-out play will never work again.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.