Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Nothing Rhymes With Squirrel
So, you may ask, why do you have a "Theodore Thursday" post each week? Why? Because "Andrew Jackson" doesn't rhyme with any day of the week. Rhythm and alliteration are important attributes of titles here in Joe Napalm world.

":o)}" (or the artist formerly known as Dad) gave me a biography a couple of months ago about our seventh president, Andrew Jackson. Last week I was able to start reading the book and am now about a quarter of the way through it. At the dinner table last night, I shared with my family some of what I have read so far concerning President Jackson's boyhood. It's fascinating stuff, really.

Fatherless as a young boy in South Carolina during America's rebellion against England, Jackson was forced to grow into manhood quickly. He fought as a teenager against Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton and his ruthless Light Dragoons in Waxhaw County and was imprisoned. His mother negotiated his release from prison not long after he was captured, but he was not spared from a smallpox infection and nearly died as a result. All of these -- and more -- experiences shaped him into the legendary, rough-and-tumble, British-hating general that he grew up to be.

To my surprise, Bubba sat enamored and listened intently -- I mean listened actively. At times he would nod in agreement or add his own commentary. When I mentioned Nathanael Greene he lit up and shared what he knew about him. Once he ran off to the bathroom and asked me to stop talking so he wouldn't miss anything. After I was done finished talking he said, "Dad, that sounded just like a Johnny Cash song."

"Did I cry? Of course not, well not much."*

* See Child and Eagle for more info (Link).
posted by Joe Napalm @ 7:01 AM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.