Wednesday, September 21, 2005
My New Workout Buddies
On Monday evening, I asked the boys if they wanted to join me on a run Tuesday afternoon. They both were excited about it. In fact, yesterday morning Ethan's first words out of bed were, "Today we get to run!"

After I went home yesterday afternoon, all four of us changed clothes and headed over to the Seymour Intermediate School track. Ethan and Jacob were bragging that they could run three--or even five--miles. But I got them to agree to one mile (or four laps).

Jacob, Ethan and I started running. About halfway through the first lap, Jacob started to struggle. I think he just got bored. But Ethan was running with gusto. Ethan and I completed two laps and then decided to walk a lap. And then we ran a lap and walked a lap. And then we ran another lap to finish up the mile.

At that point, Ethan wanted to play a game. He decided that every time we passed a line we would change our running pace. He would call out "Slow!", "Medium!", or "Fast!" And I would follow his lead until we had finished another lap.

Jacob, not wanting to be outdone, decided that he wanted to run a lap with me after Ethan and I finished. So, we ran a lap.

Heather had been walking the entire time and was about a half a lap in front. I encouraged Jacob to run until we caught her. That meant that we had to run another lap.

In all, Ethan ran five laps. Jacob ran about 3 1/2 if you figure all the times that he ran. And I got in 7 laps. Granted, my laps were at their pace. But it's a start!

My new workout buddies are excited about the Thanksgiving race in downtown Knoxville. Our goal is to run every other day until we've worked up to 8Ks.

Tomorrow we're back at it...
posted by Joe Napalm @ 10:28 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger BJ not BK said…

    Awesome awesome awesome! What a cool post. You are a great dad.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.