Monday, November 06, 2006
A Soul of Constant Sorrow
I am a man of constant sorrow, I've seen trouble all my days.

I've long known that I can't sing -- and it breaks my heart. I love music. Specifically, I love good music. My only real requisite for listen-able music is a talented artist who writes and sings his or her own music -- able to play an instrument is an added bonus.

Isn't it wonderful how music weaves all throughout your life? It can remind you of good times, cherished moments and celebrations. It can be represent sadness. And it can be an expression of shear joy.

Today, I'd like to share some moments in my life when music had an impact. As you read through this short list, think of some of the times in your life where music or song was memorable.
  • My grandfather (Paw) was known for his guitar and banjo playing. In fact, his whole family was musically talented. His well-known brother, Jethro, played on "Hee Haw."
  • In grade school I played a solo on the recorder. I can't remember the song. Maybe it was "Mary Had A Little Lamb," maybe it wasn't. I do remember being a nervous wreck.
  • When I was baptized, I chose "When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder" to be played during the service.
  • My wife sang to both of our boys as soon as they were born. At each of their birth, the doctor laid each boy on her stomach as soon as they came out of the womb; and she sang a lullaby. I'll cherish that moment as long as I live.
  • "Taps" was played at my grandfather's funeral. At that moment, I couldn't have been any more proud of him.
  • My mother plays the piano at church. My brother leads the music. My older son is learning to play the violin. My younger son began piano lessons last year.

There are many, many more musical moments in my life. And I'm sure there are many in your life. Take a trip down memory lane and share some of those moments.

But there's one promise that is given, I'll meet you on God's golden shore.

posted by Joe Napalm @ 7:54 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger BJ not BK said…

    Nice!

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Jama said…

    Joe, I, too, love music. I collect musical instruments. I wish I could play them. I think music is a connection to our home, our home here, family and friends, and our home where Abba lives. Music touches the heart in significant ways.

    I didn't know your oldest was learning the violin! That's wonderful. My youngest learned the violin, and now it is making guitar easy for him. It is a good choice.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Home: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
About Me:
Complete profile

Christmas Wish List
Previous Posts
Archives
Blogroll
Promote

Get Firefox!

 Use OpenOffice.org

Made on Fedora




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.